Friday, January 28, 2011

Silver Teeth


Last week Emiko had dental surgery. The poor girl was born with hypoplasia- no enamel on her molars. A few months ago our dentist told us that her teeth were continuing to decay and within 2 years would need to be pulled out. Not good considering she needs them to last until her 12 yr molars grow in! So we opted to put on stainless steel crowns to completely seal off her teeth. All said and done, she got 5 crowns...the rest of her molars weren't as bad and only needed sealants.

Emiko was amazing throughout the whole process. I was nervous b/c in my (nearly) 8 yrs of parenthood this is my first time having a child undergo general anesthesia. I think Emi's pretty hilarious- but she was extra hilarious on liquid valium. The staff were great at distracting her and she didn't even notice the IV being put in. I will say she was pretty upset when she first woke up from surgery (mostly b/c she really wanted to suck her thumb but since her mouth was numb she couldn't feel anything) but the staff let me crawl into the hospital bed to snuggle with her and after awhile she started to settle down.

She is so proud of her "princess" silver teeth. She's enjoyed showing all of her friends, parent's friends, and even strangers her silver teeth. I'm just grateful that everything went well.

2 comments:

Sylvia said...

That is one SPUNKY girl!! So happy that all went well and that it is DONE!!

Go Emi!

Nannette said...

I'm happy that it worked out, and that she is happy about them. I'm also glad for her sake that they are her baby teeth;)