Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Sri Lanka- Part 2

What was meant to be only a few days ended up being a few weeks...but better late than never. The 2nd half of our trip was spent in Galle Fort (an old Dutch Fort that is now full of villas, restaurants, and shops). We loved exploring the fort...and also took a few day trips to various beaches and other sightseeing destinations. While I'll try to add a brief description for each photo, I can't be bothered to organize these photos into chronological order. I'm such a travel blogging failure...

Galle Lighthouse
This dude demonstrated how they polish moonstone (a gem found in Sri Lanka)
In front of the original entrance to the fort
Dutch Reform Church (over 300 yrs old)
A mailbox- yeah, I'm not sure why we took a photo of a mailbox either...blame Brian- he took the pic.
Brian in front of a whale skeleton. We went to this tiny museum and had to pay money to take photos...so gosh darn it, we took photos.
We ate a lot of ice cream on this trip. There's 3-4 ice cream shops in the fort and we took it upon ourselves to find the best one. And then of course we had to eat there more than once b/c it was so good.
Ok, this crazy guy is a Galle Fort jumper. He's made a career of jumping off the walls of the fort into shallow water (4-5 ft). He told me it is his talent. And he didn't die, so I guess I agree.
Mid-jump
Trying out some king coconut
Jungle Beach- can you tell that's a saltwater croc we made in the sand...yeah probably not.
Tuks Tuks
Sunset photo at the fort
Koggala Lake- boat tour- I asked the tour guide if you could swim in the lake. He told us the the lake has a bunch of crocodiles and blue-ish jellyfish. I'm sure you can guess now what his answer was.
Galle Fort clock tower.
Japanese Peace Pogoda.
Inside- there are signs saying no photos allowed. And then the security guard offered to take a pic...
Yatagala Rock Temple- we totally snuck this photo of the big Buddha.
The Buddhist flag in Sri Lanka is so colorful- these flags were all over the entrance to the rock temple.
Mei- aka the hermit crab torturer
Playing mermaid at Wijaya Beach.
Tuk tuk action shot
Just outside rock temple. I kept thinking...I sure hope we don't have an earthquake right now or we're toast.
Fish spa on steroids. We've done fish spas with the small fish that tickle the bottoms of your feet...but these fish were huge! Brian swears they pulled off his leg hair...
And thus concludes the Sri Lanka blog fest.

No comments: