Even though our winter break trip was fun, the thought of another trip right after was exhausting...but we couldn't resist traveling with friends to Riyadh to go to "Edge of the World" and desert diamond hunting. So what is the EOTW? It's basically Saudi's grand canyon equivalent- obviously not as big or majestic- but in Saudi one has to sometimes use their imagination. It was, actually, quite impressive. It was a fun walk/hike out to the lookout areas. In the first photo you can just barely see some people to the left on top of those clifftops...that's where we hiked up to.
It's not really noticeable...but Mei and I are at the top of the cliff rocks.
You can't tell from the photo but basically if Brian were to take a few more steps back he'd plummet to his death. (And yes, if you're wondering- b/c I know I was- people have died falling off those rocks...there are no ropes or fences or anything to keep you safe!)
Camel crossing- just another day in Saudi...!
Desert diamond hunting isn't actually as exciting as it sounds. You drive out to this plateau that is flat as can be and look for a certain kind of rock. Here's shot of us all looking for rocks. When we get a jeweler to cut them, I'll show a picture of how they turned out.
Back to normal life. Mei decided to give basketball a try. Considering she'd never dribbled a basketball until now, I think she did pretty good. Also, considering that Brian was a b-ball player all growing up...maybe it's a bit embarrassing that Mei had never really touched a basketball prior to this season...?
New Beginnings. Emiko turns 12 this year. Seriously...I can't even deal...!
Brian decided to ignore all of my warnings about his back and went skiing with some friends in Georgia for the weekend. He said it was great and his back did fine. I'm glad he got to have some time away doing something he enjoys.
Mei loves riding with Brian on the motorcycle.
We ventured out 1 Sat in February to go desert rose digging. Desert roses are gypsum formations (google it)! But first, we got to enjoy driving through some lovely Saudi scenery. Tires for miles, people...we found where all tires go to die. Millions of tires!!!
I found digging therapeutic. I definitely lasted the longest out of everyone. Less satisfying is having to refill your hole once you're done b/c you don't want to risk camels falling into a hole and getting injured. (I'm totally serious!)
Dinner out with friends- we went to a traditional Saudi restaurant where you sit on the floor.
I forgot to throw in a picture of what those desert roses look like- pretty cool, right?! I have no idea what we're going to do with all of them.
Valentine's Day chocolates- made by me...with love.
August 8th- Crocodile Day didn't happen last year b/c we were traveling. So then we decided to celebrate on Feb 8- at the 6 month mark. But then the kids hit a rough patch where no one was getting along so the crocodile couldn't come for another couple week. But, he eventually made an appearance once behavior improved.
Lots and lots of Olympic watching happened. Kaiya had a day off school and I made her finish her quilt that she started like 2 years ago. She's getting to be a good multitasker.
Mei at gymnastics- she just loves gym class!
Emiko at her drama class performance. She was so cute. She tried out for the school play and got a small role in the ensemble- they don't take a lot of 6th graders so she was so excited to be picked. The Music Man play will be in March and she's been so busy with practices!
I ran the 1/2 marathon on camp the end of Feb and it sucked. I felt great the 1st half of the race and then my stomach starting acting up. I thought about quitting but I ended up finishing...and once I got home and spent 30 min in the bathroom I felt much better. Apparently I'm a sucker for pain b/c I signed up to run a marathon in Prague this May. So dumb.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















No comments:
Post a Comment