It's whale season again here! The humpbacks were plentiful (much better than last year) and we saw lots of whales...the baby whales are too cute. Sorry about the abundance of whale pics but you should be glad we didn't post all 270 pictures we took!
Hello humpback! A nice shot of the dorsal fin.

Blowhole. I learned that air is expelled through the blowhole at 400 km/hr- talk about a thrill ride for Nemo & Dori!

I think Mina is trying to be a whale here???

I have to admit seeing their heads come out of the water was pretty cool- although it looks a little alien-like to me.


Another blowhole shot.

Emiko and Mina swore up and down the whales were waving to them. It's a good thing Mina was mostly with Brian at the front of the ship and Emiko stayed in the back with me. They'd probably argue the whole time which whale was waving to them.


A whale tail! When a whale moves its tail up & down it can lift the equivalent of 500 grown men. Yes, I'm full of useless whale facts now.

A whale family- mommy and 2 babies. Here's another useless fact- calves consume 100 lbs. of milk per day...and the milk is the consistency of chewing gum. I don't know about you but having breastfed my kids this sounds awfully painful.

Humpbacks grow 16 meters long (for my American, metric system challenged friends...about 50 feet).

Emiko got sea sick (a surprise since she's been on boats before and never been sick). She was holding a barf bag but missed- I'm glad we had extra clothes for her. She held on to the barf bag for the remainder of the trip even though she didn't have anything left to throw up. Brian needed to take a pic of her holding an empty barf bag. As far as vomit goes, it was probably the prettiest vomit I'd seen (light pink from just eating strawberries- sorry, TMI?!)

More whale tails. Another fact- tails can reach up to 12 feet wide.


Mina hanging out on the front of the boat.

Kaiya loved hanging out at the front of the boat.

After the vomiting incident, Emiko was so happy. Although she didn't want to leave the back of the boat she saw plenty of whales and really enjoyed sitting by herself on the side of the boat looking at the water as we rode back to the harbour...but she never let go of the barf bag.

Anyways, I'm grateful for 12 years of marriage to a wonderful husband...and thankful we chose to spend it with the kids...and even more thankful for babysitting so we could enjoy a QUIET dinner on Swan River!

2 comments:
Very cool way to celebrate anniversary. Since whales mate for life, they are great examples of commitment to our spouses.
so fun! I love whales! Great pics! We got your c-mas card today! Darling as always! THANKS!
Post a Comment