I've avoided peanuts my whole life b/c eating it always makes me feel sick. Growing up I always told my parents I was allergic but they they didn't believe me, saying it was "all in my head." So...during our recent Thailand trip I accidentally ingested peanuts and had a horrible reaction...my worst one ever (the hotel bathroom and I were BFF's for several hours). Anyways, I finally decided to see the doctor about it when I returned home. The allergist did a skin prick test and asked me to describe all of my symptoms. Apparently, the symptoms I've experienced my whole life were signs of anaphylaxis. B/c of ignorance I always thought that meant your throat closed up and you couldn't breathe...but in reality my difficulty swallowing, coughing, and tongue swelling (TMI???) are all telltale signs of an anaphylactic reaction. Lovely. I've been undiagnosed for 34 years! Mom & dad, I feel totally vindicated! Here's the proof:
I am now the proud owner of an epipen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
We believe! We believe! But how did it happen? Neither of us is allergic to peanuts and none of your siblings and no one else on the family tree line, as far as we know, has it.
The allergist told me that a peanut allergy is not genetic!
I think I would trade you my allergies with your one peanut. It's sad when the nurses say hi to you at the store and know your first name because you're that girl that is allergic to just about everything.
Post a Comment