Monday, March 6, 2017

Taking a Trip Down Memory Lane

I know, I know...another blog post so soon?! I'm full of surprises...actually, I was looking through some old photos and thought (for posterity-sake) I would post a few on the blog. I might have to start doing this regularly with photos taken before I started blogging.

April 2006- Brian at law school graduation...Kaiya had fallen asleep (I'm sure the ceremony was boring and therefore a nap was justified). Where was I? In a hospital. Emiko decided to make life more "interesting" and was born 10 days early. So I missed Brian's graduation. In fact, after giving birth I don't really think I saw Brian until he picked me up again 2 days later to take me home. He basically showed up and asked if I had decided on a name yet! It was a crazy, busy time. Brian still had to take a law final, care for Kaiya, then graduation...oh, and we sold our house so Brian had to finish up all the packing and moving. So really, he didn't even take me home- we were kind of homeless until we moved to Houston a few weeks later!
(True story- b/c I went into labor in the middle of the night we decided to risk leaving Kaiya asleep in the house while we rushed to the hospital. My brother agreed to rush down to our house to stay with her. On the highway, we passed my brother- he'd been pulled over by a cop for speeding- luckily, the cop let him go with just a warning...the excuse "my sister's in labor" worked like a charm.)

November 2006- Emi was born with torticollis (google it)- she spent most of her 1st year of life in physical therapy to strengthen her neck muscles. Still, her head ended up pretty flat on one side in the back so she needed to wear a "helmet" to help correct her head shape. In this photo they're using plaster to make a mold of her head to get her properly fitted for her helmet. She was not thrilled...pretty much screamed bloody murder the entire time. That was a fun day. Also, I got to keep her head molds after her treatment finished. They're in storage back in the states...other parents keep hand or foot prints- we keep head molds.
And a photo wearing her helmet- she went through 2 helmets during the 7 months she had to wear them.
(Another true story- in Walmart I was told by a stranger that I was really smart to have my daughter wear a helmet...to keep the aliens from reading her mind.)

No comments: