Monday, August 2, 2010

Phi Phi Islands



I'm soooo over blogging about our trip...but I told Brian I'd blog about Phi Phi Islands so here were go.

Our time in Thailand was running out but we still wanted to do a boat tour to Phi Phi Islands b/c EVERYONE goes to Phi Phi. We were concerned about our kids...45 min. drive to the boat dock & then another 60 min. boat ride (each way)...plus it was rainy/windy in the surrounding areas creating 2 meter swells in the water. But gosh darn it, Leonardo DiCaprio filmed his "The Beach" movie there- so we decided to take the plunge and go! (I hope you caught the sarcasm about Leonardo DiCaprio.)

Of course, our kids were the only kids on our boat. In fact, we didn't see any kids on the entire tour of Phi Phi...I thought that was odd but whatever. The good news is that our kids were so well bahaved- they loved snorkeling/swimming, playing on the beaches, and didn't get seasick. In fact, all 3 of our kids fell asleep at some point during the boat ride!

Unfortunately, Brian and I didn't get to nap on the boat ride. Instead, we puked. Both of us have been on boats plenty of times w/out getting sick- but it was such a bumpy ride (and they fed us lunch, which was tasty BTW, right before the tour began...stupid, right?!)...anyways, we managed to keep the seasickness under control until the ride back to the dock. It was the first time I ever saw Brian throw up. I won't go into the details b/c it's gross...but we both felt great afterwards!!!

Here we are ready to begin our trip. We look so optimistic...

Brian and Mina swimming...Kaiya is snorkeling.

On the boat- this is Brian's "wow the view is amazing but my stomach hurts" look.

Kaiya on the boat.

Snorkeling. I was back in the boat b/c Emi forgot her snorkel gear (and apparently forgot to tighten her life jacket). Obviously, Mina didn't snorkel but she had fun kicking around in the water and swallowing massive amounts of salt water.

Me and the girls at the BEST beach we saw all vacation...you can't beat that white sand!

Relaxing on the beach before the long ride back to the docks...actually, Brian and I spent most of the time discussing our strategy for puking should we need to throw up on the boat ride back. Too bad we didn't come up w/a strategy in case both of us needed to puke at the same time (which is what happened). Oh well.

We're stupid enough that we both say we'd do it again...it was worth it.

4 comments:

Carrie Lommasson said...

What an amazing family vacation! You guys sure packed in a lot of adventures - such an awesome experience for you're kiddos!

Steve and Jen said...

So stinking fun! Glad you blogged about your SOO many adventures! Love it!

Kelly Vowles said...

Any one want a breath mint?

Shannon said...

Phi Phi is great. You just did a day trip? It's so fun to stay there for a few days and not quite so stressful... and maybe it's the time of year, but our boat rides were TOTALLY not bumpy at all! sorry.