Thursday, January 15, 2015

New Zealand- It Begins

New Zealand has been on our Aussie bucket list for a long time- lots of families have raved about renting a campervan (or RV or motorhome if your American) and driving across the country. In theory, it sounded like a grand, fun adventure. And then a month before the trip when I really started to think about the ramifications of 6 people being squished into a tiny space I started to have doubts. But by then it was too late to change plans...so campervan it was! We just had to hope we'd still like each other at the end of the trip.

Here she is- all 7 meters of her. Our home for 10 days. Mei called it a "bus"- she thought it was the best thing ever (what is it about toddlers and buses?!). It really was huge though- I swear people would stare at us as we drove by. And look closely...it's a Mercedes. So I guess you could say we were driving in luxury.
I thought you'd all enjoy an interior photo (when I say all I mean the 2 people that read this blog). At night the front seats fold down into a bed...there's also a double bed above the front seats...and the table area in the back becomes a bed too.
Brian took this pic on the sly. So we'd have more room Brian and I elected to sleep separately from each other. Brian and Emi were bunkmates and Mei was mine. Mei never slept on her side of the bed- she likes the middle. Or she likes to spoon. Or she likes being perpendicular.
Whenever the "bus" was parked for the night Mei liked to take a turn at the wheel. Couldn't resist taking a few photos of this cute gal.
And so our road tripping adventure begins...

PS. A side note: Flying Perth to Christchurch was a 4.5 hr flight to Sydney and then a 3 hr flight to Christchurch. We've lived here so long it was like "7/8 hrs of flying?! Wow, that's short!"

2 comments:

James, Cameo, Jacob, & Eli said...

We did the camper van trip through New Zealand, too! And it was the exact same set up as yours. It was one of our most memorable trips of all time - I'm sure you're going to love it!!

Miss Lee said...

Yes, thank you for the interior picture. You know me too well.