Sunday, September 11, 2011

Potty Training

I always thought that after potty training two kids I'd be an expert- so I didn't really worry about pushing Mina to potty train. I forgot that Mina is my stubborn, defiant, you're-not-the-boss-of-me child. She had been ready to potty train for months (months I tell you!) but refused to sit on a toilet. So for months now I had been wondering about how to go about potty training the little stinker...and seriously wondering if she'd be my one child to show up to kindergarten still wearing diapers.

You know how all of the experts and google and wikipedia, etc say that you can't force a kid to potty train...that if you push them they'll basically be scared of the toilet...or scarred for life? Yeah, well I finally ignored them. About 10 days ago I decided, you know what? I'm just gonna force her to sit on the potty (she picked out a Thomas the Train one a long time ago). I physically held her down on the chair and yes, she was crying and screaming and trying to scratch me. But I just held on. And then she peed. And then she got all excited about peeing on Thomas. "I go pee pee on Thomas! Thank you mommy, thank you Thomas for my pee pee!" And then she gave everyone in the family a hi-5.

She hasn't had a single accident. I keep thinking she's bound to have one- but so far she is a potty training miracle.

So here she is, panties and all (dancing to the movie, Rio).