Monday, September 9, 2013

Gallbladder Surgery

I had my gallbladder removed mid-August. I've known for about a year that I had multiple gallstones...with that and a few abnormal liver tests the surgeon felt it best to remove my gallbladder. So while I wasn't excited about having surgery we decided to do it here in Australia b/c our oversea insurance policy covers it 100%. It's standard procedure to stay overnight in Australia (I know it's same-day surgery in the states). I think they tend to be more cautious here- they left an IV port and drainage tube in until discharge (that made using the toilet very difficult). I have so much more empathy for women who have had c-sections! I couldn't cough, sneeze, or laugh without pain for a week. Anyways, the biopsy of my gallbladder came back "as expected" meaning that I had confirmed gallbladder disease but nothing else out of the ordinary. And lucky me, the surgeon saved a few of my gallstones for me! (Lucky you, I posted a pic.) They look like black blueberries...the kids got a kick out of seeing them. Mei likes to shake the bottle (like a baby rattle). Fun stuff. It's been about 4 weeks and I'm pretty much back to normal.

No comments: