The highlight of our trip was going to the Ras al Jinz Turtle Reserve. It's considered low season for turtles but this location is unique in that despite it being low season they still get visits from turtles year round. But first, check out our awesome eco-tent accommodations. This is the only way I like to camp...with beds, a table/chairs, and a shower/flushing toilet. It truly is "glamping" at its finest.
We got lucky and saw like 5-6 turtles that night. (3 days prior, there were no turtles.) We saw babies hatching, mommas laying eggs, mommas covering up their nest, etc. It was awesome sauce. I was so focused on the turtles that I left Brian and my sandals somewhere on the sand and forgot about them. It was too dark to find them by the time I realized they were missing so we had to walk back to the tents barefoot. This momma is laying her eggs.
This momma is using her flippers to cover the eggs/nest.
The night tour ended about 11:00 pm-ish...pretty late. But there's a morning tour at 5:00 am that we were all determined to wake up for. We set the alarm and then of course when it went off Brian and I argued which parent would get to sleep in with the 2 youngest kids that were still passed out asleep on the bed. Brian won. After all, it was my fault our shoes got left behind on the beach...so I had to go back & see if I could find them (which I did)! This photo is of the only turtle on the beach at the morning tour. She had finished laying her eggs and was headed back for the water. It was a long, slow journey. It made you want to pick her up and help her along...instead we got to enjoy a beautiful sunrise as we watched the turtle crawl back to sea.
And that, people, is the end of our trip to Oman. I do, however, have to include a photo of the wild camel we saw on our drive. In the states you see deer...in Australia it was kangaroos...here it's camels!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment