Tuesday, May 10, 2011

New Vocabulary

I've been in Australia well over a year now. Just when I think I've got a pretty good handle on the vocabulary differences here I get thrown for a loop. When it comes to food I know fairy bread, fairy floss, capsicum, rock melon, etc. But I just looked at Emiko's new canteen (cafeteria) menu for the new term...

Apple slinky
Oven baked half a bucket
Toasted spaghetti jaffle
Quelch stick

What the heck is this stuff? (Kel, Katie...a little help please?) Anyways, I guess I'm still learning new things.

4 comments:

Katie Wells said...

I have absolutely no idea and I've been here for almost 8 years. That all sounds really weird! Let us know when you figure out what it is :)

Miss Lee said...

My guess is...
Applesauce
Chips
Calzone
Popsicle

Kelly Vowles said...

What? It's not called a 'Tuckshop' anymore?

For starters, good to see you're still using 'heck' and haven't picked up the double hockey stick Aussie version. As for the menu, I only know one item and I'm not even certain. If I remember correctly jaffles are toasted sandwiches made in a special jaffle iron so the filling is sealed on the inside. I'm sure it's stuff with canned spaghetti, (just be grateful it's not baked beans.)

Have any of the girls developed a taste for Vegemite yet?
Good luck!

Katie Wells said...

Oh yes, Quelch stick is a popsicle, like an otter pop. We buy those and I totally forgot they're called Quelch. I'll have to check with Andrew about the other ones.