Monday, April 29, 2013

Birthdays & Surgery

Since it's an even year, Kaiya got to have a friend party. She invited her gym and church friends to a pottery painting party!

Group picture:

Birthday cakes here are expensive (I generally pay over $100) but I'm always disappointed in how the cake tastes. So there's this bakery near my house that won a bunch of awards for its meat pies (and I love their caramel slice)...I noticed a wedding cake on display once and asked if they made cakes- they said yes. So I decided on a whim to buy the cake there thinking that if I'm going to be disappointed in a cake at least I don't have to travel far to pick it up. They didn't have a book of designs to look at- they just said they'd decorate it nice w/flowers. And then they told me the price- only $35! So then I stressed the whole week worrying that my too cheap cake was going to look ugly and Kaiya would hate it. But it turned out ok...except that it said "Happy Kaiya Birthday" instead of "Happy Birthday Kaiya"...but it tasted better than the other more expensive cakes I've purchased. Overall it was a win. And that ends my long, boring story about a birthday cake.

Mina celebrated her half birthday on the same day as Kaiya's party. Yes, we ate cake twice that day- don't judge. She's 4 1/2 now and crazy as ever. We love her. And I love her thumb's up pose for this pic.

Emiko celebrated her birthday too- this year it was just a family party. Brian was out of town for her actual b-day (Emiko let him know that it's now been 2 years in a row he's missed her b-day) so we celebrated a day late. We ate cake again. We eat lots of cake in April...


The same day we celebrated Emi's b-day (one day late) Mina also had surgery! Apparently she had one too many falls on that front tooth (that's chipped) and the nerve died...leading to mouth abscess...meaning the tooth needed to come out. The dentist suggested general anesthesia- less traumatic for Mina. At first she was scared to get her tooth pulled but after talking it up for a couple weeks she was so excited to have a visit from the tooth fairy. Anyways, surgery went great and Mina's recovery was minimal- she didn't even complain of any pain- she's tough. Here's a pic with Mina showing us her hands with magic cream on them (the magic cream makes the skin numb for the IV).

After surgery. Even though I had permission to stay with Mina during the actual surgery Mina told me she didn't need me there (I told you she's tough). So I stayed in the waiting room and they called me back to the recovery room once the surgery was over. I think she looks so cute when she's asleep...or drugged (same difference).

Eating an icy pole after surgery and showing up the new gap in her teeth. It was difficult to get a pic b/c she was so engrossed in watching a Barbie movie...go figure.

No comments: