Friday, May 7, 2010

Baking...

(Mina stopped tantrum-ing so I have time for another post.)

I loathe cooking...but we would starve if I didn't. (Have you ever seen Brian cook anything? Me neither.) I like to eat though and now that my Bosch is here and I have a step-down transformer to run it...well I have no excuses.

I'm back to baking bread again...it tastes so much better than the store bought stuff.

One of my friends here bakes cookies using beans as a substitute for butter...so I tried it using my favorite chocolate chip recipe. I brought a whole batch to a church potluck. Where they any good? Well, they were all gone by the time we left...you should try it!

PS. Note the size of the cookie pan...my oven is the size of an easy bake oven...only 8 cookies per batch. Lame.

6 comments:

Katie Wells said...

ok, one, what is a bosch? and Two, beans? Like baked beans?? so weird

Steve and Jen said...

Kim, very impressive! Funny about the Bosch! My mom had one, and I thought every mom had one. Uh, then I got married and found out how pricey they were. And I'm a mom and still don't have one, but getting along just fine:-) Still wishing though!
The bread looks amazing, the cookies look good too! Crazy about the size of your oven!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I'm curious about the beans, too. Pureed? From a can? Refried? In place of all of the fat (butter or shortening) or just butter?--my recipe has both.
I cannot believe your oven is that small. The worst part about cookies is all the time it takes to do batches, and my sheet fits 15!

Nannette said...

Yes, but what size is your barbie? I'm glad you can make bread again, I would miss it too!

Texas Harveys said...

Oh I love to cook. So glad you have your Bosch for yummy bread making again! I'll have to try those cookies.

Shannon said...

Hey there. Welcome to expat life! Our oven is that size. I havn't dared bake bread other than banana yet because anything too tall will burn on the top, so I guess I could do really small loaves? And beans instead of butter? How. do tell. We are about 2-3 hours from HK. HK disney is super small. You will do the whole thing in one day. It's still fun though and great for young kids. Thailand, we loved Kata Beach in Phuket the most, but there are jelly fish, so not too ocean swimming friendly. Patong didn't have jelly fish, but was way busy. Phi Phi is fun to do for maybe 2 days. When you get to Phuket you will find tons of tours that go to diff islands. Way fun. Don't do more than 2 or 3 days in Bangkok. It's not so fun for kids.