In July we hit our one year mark living in Saudi. (We celebrated by NOT being in Saudi in July this year- lol!) A year goes by so quickly. It was so nice having a whole year go by without moving! After our really quick moves to Houston and San Diego it is so nice to know that we're staying put for a long time. We have loved the experience so far- although Saudi has it's negatives (hello, 110 degrees today with no reprieve in sight) we just keep focusing on the positives. Here's a few more too add to our list:
1) The middle school bus stop is in front of our house. The elementary bus stop is across the street. Have I mentioned it's hot?! It's nice to have bus stops close by so that they wait until the last possible moment to go outside to get on the bus.
2) Our suburban has an auto-start function. It's pure bliss in the winter time...it's necessary for survival in the summer time (and summer lasts until November). It's so nice to get into a semi-cooled car.
3) Mei started kindergarten which means I'm kid-free all day now. (Actually Kaiya doesn't start school for a couple more weeks but that doesn't count.) I'm getting to do things like update my blog. Having this much extra time is life changing.
4) Have I ever professed my love of 939? Whenever there's a housing maintenance issue, I dial 939 and magically someone comes over to fix it free of charge. Plumbers to fix toilets, electricians to change outlets, gardeners to trim the trees, handyman to fix closet doors, etc. Yesterday someone came over to fix our AC- we were noticing over the last several days that the AC unit wasn't cooling the house as well as normal- they came over and fixed it. Never mind that workers often don't speak English well enough to communicate what they did to fix the problem...I think this time it had something to do with a compressor???
5) With the heat I've been running more on the treadmill- it's nice having a fitness gym on camp that's free to use.
6) We came back from Utah and kiwi gold is back at the comm! My family loves this variety of kiwi & I've never seen it at grocery stores in the states...I probably mentioned this in a previous post but it's totally worth mentioning again b/c golden kiwi is awesome.
7) If we wouldn't have moved to Saudi, we would've never met Oscar. Oscar, with his dopey, happy-go-lucky personality, has won over our hearts. He's a good dog and is so gentle with the kids. My girls think they've hit the dog jackpot...and I have to agree. They missed him dreadfully over the summer.
8) Eid is a multi-day Muslim holiday that happens twice a year (one celebrates the end of Ramadan, the other is a "feast of the sacrifice" honoring Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his own son)- during Eid Brian has work off. The 2nd Eid starts next week and we're taking off for Copenhagen to go on a Baltic cruise with a bunch of other expat families. We'll have only been back a couple weeks before taking off on this trip but we're already looking forward to relaxing, hanging out with friends, seeing the Baltic cities, and cooler weather.
Happy 1 year to us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment